OLMSTEAD BURCHARD HOUSE, CIRCA 1800
Black Farm ~ Olmstead Hill Road ~ Wilton, CT
The house was built in 1800 as the centerpiece of a large property. The pedimented gabled ends and formal mouldings around the entry door tilt the style of this farmhouse toward a relaxed American Federal Style.
Wilton architect Kevin Quinlan designed a renovation & addition to the former 'caretaker's wing' of the house that had been compromised by an unsightly 1970's greenhouse addition.
The greenhouse was removed, the wing squared-off and the roof raised to create a cozy loft space. The results are a 'proper'- looking addition that appears as if it were always a part of the original home.
(Shannon Quinlan Photography)
DAVID RUSSEL HOUSE, CIRCA 1810
MEAD-RUSCOE HOUSE, CIRCA 1840
Located on one of Connecticut's roads designated as a 'Scenic Road', the antique colonial farmhouse and it's big red barn and other utilitarian out-buildings are wonderfully located on a sloping site with wonderful wooded views.
Kevin Quinlan Architecture renovated the porches and added a stone-clad workshop at Basement Level, an expanded Kitchen & Sitting Room with fireplace and French doors to a new deck at First Floor and a new Master Sitting Room with fireplace at the Second Floor.
Throughout the project reclaimed wide-board flooring, timber beams and period moldings were utilized to create additions that are not detectable from the original house. The additions are seamless and the proportions are perfect.
SPIDERWEB FARM, CIRCA 1930
These classic 1930's farmhouse additions include a new Mudroom linking the existing house to a new wing that serves as an attached cottage for parents to live within, close to their children & grandchildren. New stone patios, deck and a covered porch were added to create outdoor gathering spaces with views to the barns and fields on this beautiful farm property.
DANIEL SHERWOOD HOUSE, CIRCA 1750
THE BEFORE & AFTER
The Town of Ridgefield Connecticut was founded in 1709. In 1712 Daniel Sherwood was a miller and carpenter who - in 1712 - moved inland from Fairfield to become Ridgefield's 29th and last original proprietor and first miller.
In 1716 he built a mill on Mamanasco Lake in Ridgefield where he milled the timbers used in the construction of his home built circa 1720. The home is listed with the Ridgefield Historical Society, known as the 'Daniel Sherwood House - Circa 1750' marking the year of Sherwood's passing away.
In 2016 Kevin Quinlan Architecture began a nearly 5-year multi-project collaboration with the present preservation-minded clients and the results are a historically-appropriate addition that blends seamlessly with the original antique home, a whole-house exterior restoration with new porch & porte-cochere, and numerous interior renovations / restorations.
Kevin Quinlan Architecture also restored an antique carriage barn as well and designed a new timber-framed 3-car garage in the style of a Pennsylvania horse stable.